President Trump going ahead with plans for new tariffs on about $200 billion of Chinese imports – The Denver Post


WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump is going ahead with plans to announce new tariffs on about $200 billion of Chinese imports, The Wall Street Journal reported Saturday.

Both sides were preparing to hold new talks on their tariff dispute. Last week Trump told reporters such a move could come soon.

The Journal cited unnamed people familiar with the matter who said the tariff level will likely be set at about 10 percent, below the 25 percent announced earlier this year.

The two governments have already imposed 25 percent tariffs on $50 billion of each other’s goods. Beijing has issued a list of another $60 billion of American products for retaliation if Trump’s next tariff hike goes ahead.

The Chinese foreign ministry said Thursday that it was invited to hold new talks. Envoys from the two countries last met Aug. 22 in Washington but reported no progress.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *