Not a Fan: Biden Coming for Ceiling Fans Next 

Giulio Benzin /
Giulio Benzin /

From gas stoves to vending machines, dishwashers, and lightbulbs, nothing is too petty for the Biden administration to target in the name of “climate change.”  The Biden administration proudly announced that they were using “all tools at their disposal” to combat the climate crisis, pointing to 110 energy efficiency regulations and actions in 2022 alone. 

If that makes you hot under the collar, don’t rely on your inefficient ceiling fan to cool you off. These fans, found in more than 80 million homes as well as nearly every industrial or commercial space, are the latest target for regulatory action. 

The Department of Energy announced new regulations designed to make ceiling fans more efficient and save homeowners money on energy costs. It’s estimated that the new rules will save Americans between $17 and $40 in energy costs over the ten-year lifespan of the new fans.  

But that whopping $17 to $40 in savings will be countered by more than $86 million in rising costs to ceiling fan manufacturers per year to ensure compliance.  

The rules will impact all ceiling fans, both those imported as well as those manufactured on American soil. The cost of the regulations will drive smaller manufacturers out of business and is guaranteed to drive consumer prices through the roof.  

Or, through the ceiling, in this case. 

The DOE’s shaky math claims that homeowners will save 40% in energy costs to run the fans while increasing the price by $10. Per the common core math used in the government, the price of running these fans will balance out the price increase after four years of use. 

For consumers paying attention, nothing the Biden administration has done is surprising. On his first day in office, Biden used his magic pen to sign an executive order overturning Trump’s standards and regulations on home appliances. It was only one of seventeen presidential decrees that crossed his desk during the first day of his reign, overshadowed by the destruction of the border and full-on assault on gas-powered vehicles. 

It can be argued that ceiling fans are already key players in the battle against “climate change.” They help circulate air within a room, providing a cooling effect through increased air movement and creating a breeze that helps to evaporate sweat. Additionally, ceiling fans help improve air quality by increasing the circulation of fresh air and evaporating damp surfaces that can contribute to mold and mildew in the home. 

Ceiling fans can be considered energy-efficient supplements for air conditioning systems. They consume significantly less energy than air conditioners, which use electricity to actively cool the air. By using ceiling fans in combination with a higher thermostat setting for air conditioners, Americans reduce energy consumption. 

Most ceiling fans are equipped with a switch to reverse the direction of the fan blades, which redistributes warm air gathering at the ceiling to help with heating costs and energy consumption in the winter. 

But nothing is off the table when it comes to “climate change” and the Department of Energy’s attempts to regulate every aspect of America, no matter how small. A spokesperson for the DOE attempted to defend the new regulations by claiming that the new regulations, scheduled to take effect in 2028, would save taxpayers nearly $370 million while “substantially” reducing air pollution. 

Republicans are waving the red flag at the proposed new rules. “From day one it was clear that @POTUS was not on the side of America’s small businesses. Even ceiling fans aren’t safe from his bureaucratic overreach,” the House Committee on Small Business posted on X. 

Virgina Representative Ben Cline agreed, posting, “First, they went after your car. Then, they targeted your gas stoves. Now, they are coming for your ceiling fans.” He went on to add, “America will continue to reject the Biden Climate Police’s authoritarianism.” 

Astonishingly, most Americans aren’t fans of saving $4 per year for ten years while spending more money on the common household feature. In fact, they aren’t fans of appliance regulations at all. In a recent poll, 56% of participants revealed they were more likely to support a candidate who revoked the stranglehold of regulations on common appliances. Of those, 61% were Republicans, 52% Independents, and a surprising 54% were Democrats.  

The DOE is reviewing data and comments it collected prior to the closure of the comment period on August 21. It’s widely expected that they will review information, concerns, and data before disregarding them entirely and imposing the new regulations anyway. 

Once again, the hot air from climate change extremists accounts for 90% of global warming, with the heated criticism from climate-weary Americans accounting for the other 10%.